PARENTS: It is your responsibility to keep your children and horses out of harm’s way on the Posse grounds. Have your children warm up their horses away from populated areas of the Posse grounds – especially close to the arena and arena gate. Due to safety concerns, parents, children, and spectators will be restricted from crowding the gate area. DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN TO LOPE THEIR HORSES THROUGH THE PARKING LOTS AND WALKWAYS.
GYMKHANA STARTS AT 9:00 AM
The gymkhana dates posted on the flyer, Mesa County Sheriff Posse website, and the Mesa County Sheriff Posse Gymkhana Facebook page are subject to change due to weather conditions, arena conditions, or other problems that may arise. However, if a change should occur, every effort will be taken to contact participants as early as possible. Sign-ups will be open from 8:00 am to 8:45 am the day of the gymkhana.
The fee is $6.00 per event per contestant with one exception. We will have plenty of entry forms in the Crow’s Nest. Insufficient funds checks will result in a $35.00 fee. The debt must be cleared in cash, cashier’s check, or money order before the contestant may compete in any future gymkhanas or receive any awards. After ONE (1) Returned Check, the MC Sheriff Posse will ONLY accept cash, cashier’s check, or money order for the remainder of the season for that specific contestant.
Contestants MUST be signed up for all the events of the day to qualify for year-end points. The person with the highest points at the end of the year in their age group will be eligible for the saddle or buckle or end-of-season reward. Contestants must compete in five of the seven gymkhanas, where there must be at least three contestants in each age group for each of the four gymkhanas attended to qualify for High Point award. If less than the minimum number of contestants in an age group participates, there may be an alternate award given. Second through sixth place High Point qualifiers will be given an alternate award as seen fit by the MC Sheriff Posse Gymkhana Committee.
*Contestants will remain in the same age group for the entirety of the season. Any contestant that changes age groups during the season will forfeit any points already attained. A contestant’s age group will be decided by their age as of January 1st.
HIGH POINT SYSTEM:
First place in each event counts for 60 points, second place is 50 points, third place is 40, and so forth to sixth place. The top six contestants to place in any event will receive a ribbon, but all points will be recorded for High Point Awards.
*Only one High Point Ribbon will be given per age group per day: First Place.
*Lead Line will be counted for points after the other contestants who did not use Lead Line. If all contestants in the class used Lead Line to complete an event, then points will be awarded as normal.
1. Riders may use any humane bit including a snaffle or hackamore. Improper equipment or improper use of equipment will not be tolerated.
2. Abuse or improper treatment of horses will not be tolerated!
3. Contestants will be asked to leave the arena for any one of the following:
4. Healed or western style boots are required for safety purposes.
5. If riding outside of the arena, horses must be kept at a walk.
6. Contestants will be disqualified in any event if they receive assistance once they have passed the starting line with the exception of Lead Line.
7. For safety reasons and to keep things running smoothly, we would like everyone to stay in the general assembly area and not ride off.
8. Event Directors are arena officials. All decisions of the arena officials will be final. Flaggers are only used for helping with back up times, not for making any judgement calls.
9. Dogs must be leashed and under control at all times.
10. Alcoholic beverages are NOT allowed on the Posse grounds.
11. Complaints must be made before the end of the event in question; otherwise, it will not be addressed. The MCSP Gymkhana committee will determine if the complaint merits immediate attention. If deemed necessary, a resolution will be made immediately with the assistance of arena officials. All other complaints will be addressed before the next scheduled gymkhana.
12. Harassment of gymkhana officials or volunteers by contestants, spectators, or family members will be cause for immediate disqualification of the contestant from the event and/or gymkhana, as determined by the MC Sheriff Posse Gymkhana Committee.
13. The Mesa County Sheriff Posse is run by volunteers. Please be helpful with setting up equipment, opening the gate, and timing. We are more than happy to have assistance with a short how-to session, if necessary.
14. Parents must sign liability waivers for all contestants under the age of 18. Each contestant aged 18 or over must show their driver’s license at registration window.
15. During the National Anthem, please follow these guidelines: If mounted on a horse, please stop and face the flag. Everyone else, please stand, remove hats, and face the flag.
16. A contestant may ride two horses in the Gymkhana’s events. However, only the higher scoring horse will be counted for year end points.
17. Parents and/or guardians are responsible for supervising their children.
The rules listed above apply anywhere on the Posse grounds.